I was in for an operation on 30th of December 2015 and I probably won’t get to leave my house much again during 2016 (except doctor appointments). My generalised dystonia is getting worse and causing many more injuries. This year I figure I’ll just have a garden bird list, birds in the garden & above and only update this one post.
To attract birds to my garden, as well as gardening for wildlife when I can, I use RSPB food and feeders, find great products at their website, also great for gifts for nature lovers.
2016 Garden Bird List, Edinburgh, Scotland, UK:
- Black-headed gull – first 100% ID February 18th – was mobbing a sparrowhawk.
- Blue Tit
- Carrion crow
- Chaffinch – first sighting 28th of January – haven’t seen one in the garden since 2014.
- Chiffchaff – 14th of August 2016.
- Coal Tit
- Collared Dove
- Common Buzzard – FO March 7th.
- Cormorant – FO June 19th.
- Feral Pigeon
- Great Tit
- Great Spotted Woodpecker
- Grey Heron – Flying over February 19th.
- Herring Gull – managed ID April 29th, landed to get the food waste bin opened by council workers.
- House Sparrow
- Lesser black-backed gull – managed ID April 29th, landed to get the food waste bin opened by council workers.
- Long-tailed Tits
- Oystercatcher – FO February 23rd.
- Redstart – 1 male – first I’ve ever seen – April 20th.
- Redwing – 24th of December – what a great bird for Christmas Eve!
- Rook – April 30th.
- Siskin – 2 females on feeders, first time I’ve seen them in the garden for 3 years, March 21st.
- Song Thrush
- Swallow – FO – 15th of May.
- Swift – FO – 15th of June.
22 (2 little ducks) bird species by the 18th of January.
23 birds as 28/01/16
24 birds as 30/01/16
26 birds as 08/02/16
27 birds as 18/02/16
28 birds as 19/02/16
29 birds as 23/02/16 – there have also been flocks of geese flying over at night and during the day, very high, not sure what type.
30 birds as 07/03/16
31 birds as 21/03/16
32 birds as 20/04/16
34 birds as 29/04/16
35 birds as 30/04/16
36 birds as 15/05/16
37 birds as 15/06/16
38 birds as 19/06/16
39 birds as 14/08/16
40 birds as 24/12/16
RSPB Big Garden Birdwatch 30th of January 2016:
- Blackbird x 9
- Blue Tit x 3
- Bullfinch x 1
- Carrion crow x 1
- Coal Tit x 2
- Dunnock x 1
- Greenfinch x 6
- Robin x 1
- Song Thrush x 1
- Sparrowhawk x1
- Woodpigeon x 1
Snow on the ground and occasional showers of snow. 10.20am until 11.20am.
Odd that the usual flock of house sparrows wasn’t to be seen, there’s normally up to 30 most days, any time of day.
The Sparrowhawk was after the song thrush!